I shared how to embed tweets in a blog post but you may be asking yourself why you’d want to.
You: “So, Sarah, that was cool and all but why would I need tweets on my blog?”
Me: “What?! Because!”
Me: “It’s awesome, that’s why!”
Me: “Okay. I’ll tell you.”
These embedded tweets are… Psst… Come closer… *whispers* Interactive.
I know, right? How cool is that?! Readers can do anything right from your blog.
- Open your tweet
- Visit your timeline
- Check out a hashtag
Everything is clickable. It’s basically a live tweet. One that you’ve highlighted. One that you want to share with your blog readers.
I do like Twitter but, let’s face facts, that thing moves like ticker tape. It’s so easy to miss tweets from your tweeps. Depending on how often you post, that tweet is going to be much more visible here.
And it doesn’t have to be just one. You can make an entire post from tweets. Maybe you’ve had an interesting conversation about traditional vs indie publishing. Or the best way to make brownies. Or whether spiders or rats have had better PR. (I’ve had that last convo quite recently: Mickey Mouse and Spider-Man. It was weird.)
Regardless, it makes for a fun post and people can interact with each tweet by liking, retweeting, and even replying to it right from your blog.
- Catch tweeps who may have missed your tweet.
- Reach blog buddies who may not be following you on Twitter.
- Create synergy between your blog and social media.
- Highlight content from Twitter.
- Create a blog post composed entirely of tweets (e.g. a compilation of micro fiction).
- Get inspiration. Transform a tweet into a longer piece.
- Promote your writing…new releases, cover reveals, trailers, etc.
- Ask a question on your blog with a Twitter poll. *
This allows readers to…well…follow you.
Your name/avi brings readers directly to your timeline. (They can open a specific tweet by clicking on the time/date of the embedded tweet.)
Readers can reply to your tweet right here.
A pop-up box appears, they write 140 characters (or less) in reply to you, then click “tweet”. This shows up on their timeline and yours. Nice!
Let’s try this, shall we? I’ll embed a tweet or two, you have fun:
“No, no. Look,” she grabbed the spoon. “You have to stir it slowly. Poison isn’t instant pudding! Pay attention.”#FP
— Sarah Brentyn (@SarahBrentyn) October 21, 2016
Everyone has emotional baggage, some just refuse to fill out the ID tags. #FP
— Sarah Brentyn (@SarahBrentyn) July 31, 2015
* I tried a poll a few years ago and, when I posted about it, most bloggers said they hadn’t seen the poll on Twitter. If you embed it, both your blogging friends and your tweeps can vote.
— Sarah Brentyn (@SarahBrentyn) May 28, 2017
Hope you found some fun ways to use a tweet on your blog. Remember…a well-placed tweet can make a good post great. (I just made that up but it’s kind of cool.) 🙂
Happy blogging (and tweeting) days, my friends!